Thursday 7 April 2011

Too Much Sex in Newspapers?

Children should not read newspapers anymore, or watch news on TV. In Malaysia that is! There is too much news on sex lately. And I get really confused with the powers that be. The debate about teaching sexual education at schools have not really cooled down, but all the while the media have been partying with explicit news on rape, sodomy, and the latest - sex video of an opposition leader. Well, he's the one in the sodomy case also.
After having breakfast with my daughter the other day, I was paying at the counter of the restaurant when I saw my daughter looking curiously at that day's newspaper. And I had the shock of my life! There, smack on the front page were 3 photos taken from the sex video. The photos were blurry but clearly showed the purportedly opposition leader clad in a towel embracing a prostitute, also clad in a towel.
Look, I am a very open-minded person. I agree with the proposal to teach sexual education in schools because I would like the kids to know the consequences of sex before marriage, of STDs, of abortion, of dumped babies. But such photos on the front page is really not acceptable - morally and politically.

No comments: